Tuesday 8 January 2013

Music Magazine Research Task Three: Genres Of Music

The genre of a magazine is very important to the way it is set out, so below are lists of popular genres and what genres music magazines are, I will also look at music I listen to, after looking at all of these I will make a decision as to what genre my magazine will fit into, it is very important that I don't pick something that has been overused, or that is present in today's media.

Popular music genres, with magazines that fit these genres next to them:
  • Indie - NME
  • Pop - Q, Mojo
  • Rock - Kerrang
  • Hip-Hop - Hip Hop Connection (American Magazine)
  • Grime - Flavourmag (Urban London Music and Arts Magazine)
  • Hip-Hop/R&B - Vibe Magazine
  • Music in General - Rolling Stone Magazine (varies from month to month as to which artist they focus on, the magazine isn't devoted to 
all of these magazines have a layout and a design that mirrors what they are trying to represent, so for example NME has quite an indie feel to it, one that would match today's culture, with the clothing people wear, the people that feature in the magazine and other things such as the features they run and the way the codes and conventions are presented.

Music that I listen to:
  • Indie - Bombay Bicycle Club, Little Comets, General Fiasco
  • Grime - Skepta, JME, P Money
  • Hip-Hop - Kanye West
  • Rock - The Rolling Stones, The Beatles
 I think that I will make my magazine more of an indie theme, this is because I feel that there is a slight gap in the market, because although the content of NME is seen to be indie, the design wasn't originally to suit indie music, because when it was created it was more to do with popular music than anything else, and has recently changed. Whereas my magazine will be completely indie orientated, with a modern design that fits the genre, rather than optimized like NME's design has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment