Tuesday 26 February 2013

Music Magazine: Coverline Analysis

In this post I will discuss the coverlines I have used. My first example would be the main coverline "TOM KANE - Hurricanes front man goes solo". This came from an idea from an old NME cover of The Last Of The Shadow Puppets, by which Alex Turner was leaving the duo band set up to go back to Arctic Monkeys, and I was watching a TV show on Hurricanes in the morning before coming to college, so there you go, inside the mind of myself!

The next coverline, which was the inspiration of band I went and saw - Little Comets - " 'Joanna Take Me Home' little comets tell all of their new album" is something I thought I could add a few little visual elements to, for example the plus sign and plus font, also the album cover, all add to the effect that I have tried to pass over to the viewer of the magazine. Overall I am quite pleased with the two coverlines I have covered, both adding to the effect of the magazine.

The last coverline that I have on the magazine is a coverline that goes with the Tom Kane feature coverline, "People can only take so many Gallagher hair cuts and drug addictions" this was an influence from NME, as they seem to be quite pro-Gallagher brother/Oasis (and now Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds etc.) which got me thinking, I didn't want my magazine to be like every single other magazine, I didn't want the same person on the front cover, and the same content that is in every single other music magazine even slightly related to this genre, so I picked something slightly out of the ordinary and chose to say something controversial  because ultimately controversy sells, people want to read controversial things, things that intrigue people and get people thinking, so what would be better than an attention grabbing, controversial coverline, because to most in the industry the Gallagher brothers are seen as like the Beatles reborn, so I thought it was time for a change, so I made something that was different to everything else.

Overall I am pleased with how everything went on the front cover, not just the coverlines, but the coverlines add something that images and names can't do, they also give something that could be seen as a selling point, as after a picture they're something that someone will instantly pick up on, and it will either attract the reader, or put them off, so it's capturing the buyers attention with the coverlines that make it an important selling point, I feel I have done this, and if it wasn't done well, I would have changed it, because after all it is the person I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment